Sunday 8 January 2012

An Unforgettable Experience II

I wish I could forget that scary experience that has been haunting me since two years ago.
That night my best friend ,Joshua or Josh and I went to the prom night. We enjoyed the party and we did not realise that time was running late. We intended to stay the night at one of our classmate’s house but Josh had an important errand to do the next day. So we made the decision to drive back.
The clock showed that it was already 2 am. I asked Josh to come home with me as it was very late and I did not want to drive because I was feeling sleepy and I might fall asleep at the wheel. However Josh did not want to go back just as yet as he was having so much fun at the party.
At 3am finally Josh relented and decided to go home. One of our classmates told us to be careful because the haunted bridge was about half kilometre away. But Josh just smirked and said, “Why do I care? Do you think that I’m a coward? I will say hello to the ghosts if I see them!” After saying that, he just laughed.
Joshua drove and I sat beside him. He tried to crack some jokes but I ignored him because I was still thinking about what he said before we drove home. I was wondering what would happen if the ghosts heard what he said. I closed my eyes quickly and let him talk to himself.
I was shocked when Josh braked the car suddenly. He said, “We would see for ourselves if it is really haunted.” Alarm rising in me, I asked him, “What do you mean haunted?” Then suddenly I realised that we were on THE bridge. I said, “Are you crazy? I do not want to get into trouble!” I could not stand his stupid behaviour. I yelled at him, “If you want to make a fool of yourself, you’d better not get me involved. Get me home now!” He just ignored me. His silence made me panicky. I quickly jumped out from the car. He was stunned but he rolled down the window. “Did you hear something?” he whispered.
I was getting really scared. He got out from the car and walked to the lamp post. I was getting really spooked at that moment and I shouted, “Josh! What is behind you?” He then turned to look at something behind his back and fainted there and then. A few seconds later, he stood up but to my horror, he had changed. His face had changed. Wider mouth with sharp fangs, and a contorted face, I could hardly recognise my best friend. My legs couldn’t support my trembling body anymore so I sat on the grass. Joshua stared long and hard at me and he came stumbling towards me. He tried to choke me with his strong hands. But I quickly ran and jumped into the driver’s seat of the car. Luckily the key was still in the ignition. I drove as fast as I could.
With a heavy heart I had to leave ‘Josh’ behind and when I finally reached home, I couldn’t speak to anyone. I was down with fever for about three weeks. After my mother brought a ‘bomoh’ or shaman to our house, I started to feel better.
I then told my family what had happened that night. My mother called Joshua’s home but no one answered. The following week, I started to feel a whole lot better. I went to Joshua’s house but nobody was there. While I was on the way back to my house, I suddenly thought about the haunted bridge. I decided to go there and look for Joshua.
I reached there at about 6pm. The day was getting darker. I walked to the lamppost near the bridge and saw a body was lying among the rocks under the bridge. I ran back to my car and called the police. After half an hour, the police came and the dead, decomposing body was sent to the morgue. I went straight home after that but I was still thinking about the dead person. I could not recognise his face but I hoped he was not Joshua.
Two days later, two policemen came knocking on my door. They said the dead person was my friend, Joshua. I was shocked and felt very terrible because I had left him at the haunted bridge. It was a scary experience that I would never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment