Tuesday 6 November 2012

Making A Difference




As much as I love inspirational quotes and stories, I never imagined that someday, I would figure in one of them. But life is full of surprises, so here’s my story.

The day started just like any other and I waited patiently for the sun to go down so I could go for a dip. At 7.15pm, I looked out the window and saw a beautiful sunset. It was my cue to head downstairs.
As I approached the pool, I noticed a young lady getting out from the other end. Well, it’s going to be me swimming alone that night, I thought to myself.

I geared up and got into the pool gently. Once I had gotten used to the temperature of the water, I noticed the same person had returned and begun swimming. I could not keep my eyes off her.
She swam lap after lap without stopping. Feeling a little let down by my own speed, I pushed myself a little harder at the start of each lap, pausing occasionally to enjoy the view around me.

After seven years of living in the same condo, most people would have gotten tired of the same, although amazing, view from my pool. But I never fail to gloat about it – it’s the main attraction for anyone who visits.
I had planned on doing 20 laps. After the 18th lap, I stopped to take a rest. It was then that the young lady came up and started thanking me profusely.

At first I did not quite understand her. She then explained that she had given up her passion for swimming some years ago. But that evening, after a long day at work, she decided that she would get back into the pool.

However, she was only two laps through when everyone else in the water started to get up and head home. She felt uneasy swimming alone and wanted to do the same. That was when she saw me approaching and decided to continue with her laps as she now had company. My presence in the pool that night had also inspired her to swim again, she added.

Her words caught me by surprise and all that I could mutter was, “You’re welcome,” while flashing a wide smile.

As we both swam to the other end of the pool, she whispered, “See ya,” before getting out. As I completed my last two laps, I started thinking about what had just happened.

How could my presence make such a difference in someone else’s life? After all, I did not offer her any assistance; I was simply going about my own business.

Then it struck me that in most of the stories I had heard or read, the characters were unaware of the effect they would have on someone else’s life. It just happened.

Thinking back on that experience still gives me goose bumps: what if I had been lazy and decided to go for my swim the next day instead? I would have killed your passion, young lady. Surely I would not be guilty, as I was unaware of the situation. But now, I know the impact of my presence on you.

So, the next time anyone thinks of herself as unworthy of making a difference, think again. I am proof of that.

(550 words)
Adapted from: Caren Alyssha Philip Heart & Soul Star2 Sunday 27 May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment