Tuesday 20 November 2012

My Role Model


Cancer Survivors

My role model is my sister. Her name is Joy and she is thirty-years old. She is working as a lecturer in a local university. She is very small and petite. She has beautiful black hair and the prettiest smile I have ever seen. She is also very cheerful and it is no wonder that she got the nickname of Joy. She is almost 10 years my senior and she has made a great impact on my life.

She was diagnosed with cancer of the breast at age 25. When my family and I heard the news, we were in shock and distress. I was devastated. I felt as if my sister was going to die. I cried and cried. I only stopped when she smilingly asked me why I was crying.

“I am scared that I am going to lose you!” I cried with fear. She said calmly, ”Hey, you silly goose. I am not going to die. I am just having a cancer. It is not life threatening. It is something that can be treated. And if I had to get cancer, then I am glad it is breast cancer because I can easily go for a mastectomy and get on with life. So, what’s your problem?”

I stared at her and then started thinking. How come she never cried? How come she never whined and complained? How come she continued to bring joy to everybody’s lives? Where did she get her strength from? What was wrong with me? Why was I crying like life has ended?

It was a very traumatic time for all of us. She went through radiation, chemotherapy and the saddest time of our lives was when she lost all her hair! Her beautiful black hair simply dropped onto her pillow as she slept. I collected all her hair and I still keep it in a bag! I just can’t throw it away.

But, she taught all of us lessons in strength and patience. She taught us to laugh in the face of pain, hurt and fear. She simply would not stay down. She bounced right back!

Even the doctors were amazed at her recovery and ability to cope with the situation. My sister Joy made all of us aware of all the fragility of life and showed that we had to be thankful for every minute that we had.

We became one of the families who laughed and celebrated a lot. We would find any occasion to give thanks to just be alive because after all life is a gift.

Today, she is a cancer survivor and is a counsellor to other cancer patients. I am totally in awe of her. From her, I learnt to live life fully, happily and contentedly.

(458 words)

Adapted from Tutor Utusan Malaysia Wednesday 6 August 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment